Friday, March 31, 2006

Secret to Life: Replace one worry with another

Alrighty, I should have posted this yesterday (March 30th, 2006), but I got too lazy and too fraustrated to type about anything. It really seemed that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, litterally. For people that know how my bed is situated, the right side of my bed is plushed up to the wall, so I technically only have one side to get off every morning........hmmmm....that leads me to conclude that I'm always waking up on the wrong side of the bed....either that or I smack my head on the wall.
Anyhow, I woke up 30 minutes earlier than normal. As normal, I brushed my teeth, washed my face, drank my cup of H2O and started the car. It was 10 till 7 when I drove out my garage and onto the main street. It was 10 past 7 when I realized I have forgotten my metropass, no worries I thought, I'll just pay my 2.50 at the parking gate and be on my way. Well, new fact for the day, they just bumped up the fee to $6. So great, I need to look for 3.50 more in change. I look in my coin purse, and realized that I only have another 1.50. I'm missing 2 bucks. I panic. Usually there're some coins in the change compartment. I open it and to my surprise.....Canadian Tire money......what good's that going to do me?......dammit. The people in the cars behind start getting impatient. Another minute has passed, the sound of David Usher still blaring out my car window. I look all around the car, in the seats, in the cup holder, in the glove compartment, coat pocket, floor under the mats, floor under the driver's chair............OMG...what do I feel here?........a toonie....a big slimy toonie..eeeewwwww. Anyhow, I quickly put in the coins and proceed to park the car.

I walk into the station and realize that I only have one token left. No worries, I'll just buy some more at the machines. I proceed to a big red robot that has a sign on it "Out of Order"....damn, just my luck. I move on to the 2nd machine, there is a lady there fiddling with the machine. In my mind I'm thinking "Lady, welcome to the 21st century, just insert your bill there and magically it eats it and poops out tokens." After a few more seconds, the lady finally gives up and moves out of the way. I quickly step up to the red robot and eagarly feed its hunger with my 20 dollar bill. Nothing happens. Red didn't want to eat? Was red not hungry? Maybe I didn't feed it correctly. So I retract my bill from Red and straighten out the corners and proceed to try for a 2nd time. Still nothing. Red doesn't want to eat anything. After a futile third attempt, I realize that the lady wasn't from the past, but she was just not liked by the big Red....

I turned to go to the station operator. There is a lineup, no worries, just a few more minutes and I'll get my tokens. After 5 minutes, it was finally my turn. "Excuse me sir?...may I have $20 worth of tokens?" The grumpy old man responded with a "You're only allowed 2." WHAT? Are we rationing tokens now? Then I realize something, it was the 30th...the end of the month. The transit people like to ration out tokens at the end of the month, especially before they jack up the price. So I get my 2 tokens and proceed to the trains.

It is 8:10 when I finally arrived at King Station. There was a "technical malfunction" en route so I was held up for 15 minutes. I walk up to Red's brother, Red @ King. R@K greeted me with a bright red flashing sign saying "Out of Order." Great....JUST GREAT!!!! What is this? Big Red and its union decided that they weren't being paid enough or something? So again, I go to the station operator. Same story. 2 tokens. No worries, I just need to last the day then I'll have my metropass again.

The day's highlight was that my girlfriend bought tickets to a showing. The Arab-Israeli Cookbook is a documentary style play. The actors/actresses portrayed different characters that are part of the Arab-Jew conflict in Israel. They would start each character off with a recipe of sort and then they would move into a touching story. Right at the moment that things turn for the worst, they shine the light on another character and they begin with another recipe. While they introduce recipes, they're actually cooking food on the stage. Unfortunately they were not serving the food to the audience. I was deeply touched by several of the stories. If people have the chance to watch this play, I highly recommend it. 8/10 doors.