Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Hunt for Lost Domain

For the past 2 weeks, I've been going on a wild goose chase on the net to findout where my domain has gone. The original domain was regitered with company SUX (won't give the real one for reasons....). So SUX went bankrupt last year but just told us that our questions will be answered but another domain SUXOR. I've emailed SUXOR and they told me they actually are just a reseller and they've sold our account to SUXSUX. SUXSUX told me that they sold it to SUXMUCH. ........

So after a long chase, I finally asked my web guru friend Winnie "Who's the main owner? How can I find out?" She gave me the WHOIS link and I quickly pulled up a lot of valuable information.

I know how much I hate going on a tangent here but I really need to say this......OMFG!!!! I was able to pull up the original owner of the domain, the admin, tech, anyone that was linked to this domain. I know where that person lives, their phone number, their email.....and this was just typing in my domain at WHOIS. Isn't there some kind of privacy act that prevents this from happening? Or is there some bill C666 that says "all domain hosts and admins will have their private life broadcasted online."

Well, back to the chase. Finally I found from WHOIS that the base holder of my domain is TooKaus (company also masked for personal reasons....but you can guess it.....really you can...). So I emailed them to ask......who is one I need to contact to straighten things up with my domain. Alright, this is where I got a little pissed. I didn't get a response saying "Thank you for your hate mail, we'll have someone look into it and respond to you in the next decade." I just got dead air for a week and a bit. Finally I got a response today, I was all giddy and excited. They told me exactly who runs my domain. Now I can finally rest a bit waiting for my next email about how I should transfer my domain to another provider.........